”The final answer seems to be that words are the instruments by means of which men and women grasp the thoughts of others and with which they do much of their own thinking. They are the tools of thought.”
Your success in most every area of life depends on your active vocabulary.
A limited English vocabulary causes you to struggle. A strong, confident vocabulary lets you understand, learn, and communicate well. Other people will respect and follow you more. You will be more successful in whatever you do.
Everyone can improve their vocabulary. Your brain is never too old (or too young) to learn. Even if you struggled to learn vocabulary in the past, that does not mean that you can't do it: It just means you applied the wrong strategies, and used a system that did not work.
Don't feel discouraged if you are just starting to learn English or have struggled with English words all your life. You CAN reach a high level of competence without a lot of struggle.
Of course, like everything in life, vocabulary improvement takes long-term effort. You have to make a commitment to practice regularly and to take your goals seriously.
- Fast quizzes; 100% personalized to your learning profile and needs.
- Difficult words are reviewed in future sessions until they're part of your vocabulary.
- Multi-media dictionary entry for each of our 180,000 words. (Videos! Images! Pronunciations from around the world! Lots of usage examples! Idioms! Tutoring comments! Translations, and much, much more!)
- We teach not only meaning, but also usage, and if you like, spelling.
- It's free! Try it now... sign up is instant.